[b-greek] Re: APIEI

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 18:27:44 EST

At 5:25 PM -0500 11/11/01, Bart Ehrman wrote:
> The Protevangelium Jacobi is fond of using the term APIEI (e.g., KAI
>APIEI DROMAIOS PROS TON hIEREA KAI EIPEN AUTWi). I've always assumed this
>was from APEIMI (eimi - ibo), but now I can't seem to locate the
>form. Anyone know what it is? (the scribes, of course, change it all
>over the map, to APHEI, APHLQON, etc.)

This is a guess, but I hope a not unintelligent one: looks to me like the
writer was creating an imperfect 3d sg. of EIMI (ibo) by using the I- stems
that shows up in the participle I-WN/I-ONTOS and infinitive I-ENAI. Of
course a schoolteacher wouldn't have liked it, but this thing happens, and
if the scribes have changed it as you say, it's probably because they
guessed what was meant, knowing well that the form was not the proper form
of the 3d sg. impf.