[b-greek] Christ Jesus

From: Julian Duckworth (jcduckworth@optushome.com.au)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 00:14:44 EST

Dear B-Greekers,
I'm curious about the occasional reversal by Paul, mostly, of the name Jesus
Christ to Christ Jesus. It occurs once in Acts 19.4 in words spoken by Paul;
then 43 times in Pauline epistles; then once in Hebrews 3.1 and finally
twice in 1 Peter 5. 10, 15. The normal ordering occurs around 200 times in
virtually all the NT books. I notice too that the definite article is added
to the reversal: hO CRISTOS IHSOUS. Is it as simple as a highlighting by
Paul and others of the messianic role of Jesus Christ that produces the
reversal for emphasis, or are there other factors at play here such as
customary practices at that time? For example, did anyone outside of the NT
ever reverse names/titles or even the name(s) of God? In Apocryphal books or
Gnostic scriptures, or elsewhere?
Maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Julian Duckworth
Sydney, Australia