[b-greek] Re: Matt 16:18

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 00:22:48 EST

Paul,

on 11/19/01 6:34 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:

> Matt 16:18: KAGW DE SOI LEGW hOTI SU EI PETROS KAI EPI TAUTH TH PETRA
> OIKODOMHSW MOU THN EKKLHSIAN KAI PULAI hADOU OU KATISXUSOUSIN AUTHS.
>
> "In normal [Greek] syntax a phrase like KAI EPI TAUTHi
> THi PETRAi can only refer to something outside of the
> speaker AND his interlocutor.

Wrong.

Wrong for several reasons. This syntax pattern:

First Reason:
***********

The pattern:
 EPI + DEMONS-PN (within 2 words) NOUN (dative case, agree number & case)

This pattern only exists in Matt. 16:18. So the argument fails using a
strict reading of the conditions stated.

Second Reason
************

Using a loose reading of the conditions stated.
A search for LEGW or PHMI (followed by in same sentence) EPI + NOUN
produced some cases where the NOUN after EPI is NOT "outside of the
speaker AND his interlocutor."

Take a look at: Matt 23:36, Lk10:9, 19:14, 23:30, Rev 2:24, 6:16
Also look at Heb 10:16, Heb 8:8, these are not exactly what we are looking
for however.

Third Reason:

Statement ignores the use of figurative language.

Conclusion:

Three strikes and your out.

Clay

--