[b-greek] Re: Jude 7 APERCOMAI + OPISW

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 21:32:02 EST

on 12/2/01 5:37 PM, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> I note that L&N have a separate entry for this
> particular verse & usage of APERCOMAI OPISW.

Carl,

Yes L&N and BDAG both treat it as an idiom, as if you could have an idiom
with only one example. I think that most commentators get rather distracted
by the semantic significance of SARKOS hETEROS and overlook this question
entirely.

I went through about half of the 40+ examples of POREUOMAI OPISW in the LXX
and found only one in a context where movement away from something and
movement towards something were combined. Of course we would not expect to
find this meaning with POREUOMAI. I could not find APERCOMAI OPISW in the
LXX.

The reason this came up was that in Jude 6 the story of the AGGELOI
mentions only their departure which is only half of the story, but in Jude 7
we have a comparison, TON hOIMOIN TROPON TOUTOIS, between the story of
Sodom and the AGGELOI. In Jude 7 the main point of comparison seems to be
the issue which is left unsaid in Jude 6, the 1Enoch expansion on Gen. 6.

So we have a pattern like this:

Jd 6: AGGELOI departed proper place --> [omitted 1Enoch material]
Jd 7: [Sodomites departed from . . . ] --> comparison to 1Enoc material

In other words there is a semantic structural reason to see APERCOMAI OPISW
as combining both movement away from something and movement towards
something. Also this use of APERCOMAI OPISW is found in Mark 1:20 .

thanks for your comments,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew