[b-greek] Re: Lk 18:13; TWi hAMARTWLWi

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 08:15:43 EST

> Just one aside. It's not exactly true that only people can be sinful.
> After all, the law came in so that through the commandment sin itself
> might become utterly sinful (hINA GENHTAI KAQ' hUPERBOLHN hAMARTWLOS hH
> hAMARTIA DIA THS ENTOLHS). ;-)

Yes, Steven,

I was thinking of that example myself. It is the only "exception" in the NT.
I am so used to thinking of "sinful thoughts" in Danish/English, but for
some reason "sinful" is connected to describing a person and not an abstract
notion like thoughts in the GNT.

Does this not make us conclude that Paul is personifying "sin" in Rom
7:13-20? He, the sin, (that was an apposition, by he way) is like a "sinful
being" living inside Paul and "killing" him.

Best wishes,
Iver