[b-greek] The Use of the word gold in the NT

From: Martin Wells (songoku@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 07:47:40 EST

I am a very amateur NT Greek student and would like some help on a
couple of words.

I've been scratching my head recently over the use of the two words for
'gold' in the NT.

First, there's Strong's No. 5557 CRUSOS which refers to precious things
made of gold and coins and second, there's Strong's No. 5553 CRUSION (a
diminutive of 5557) which refers to gold in the ground and dug out and
also coins, ornaments and 'precious things'

[Moderator's note: New list-members, please don't paste into a
message bits of Greek text copied from a program with a Greek
font; use instead the transliteration scheme recommended in
the B-Greek FAQ; otherwise your cited Greek will appear (to some
extent) as gobbledy-gook on most users' screens. I have altered
the above words to conform to our standard transliteration.]

See http://bible.crosswalk.com for the NT lexicon which I've been using.

Examples of the usage of these two words throughout the NT are confusing
to me as they can both mean coins and objects and the base metal:

For example, the following passages use 5557: Mat 2:11, 10:9, James 5:3
and the following use 5553: Acts 3:6, 20:33 and 1 Peter 1:18 yet they
all just translate in the New Revised Standard Version as 'gold'.

How can we tell whether they are referring to coins, metal or objects?
And are there any examples outside the NT which can help? Is it a case
of just having to make a best guess from what the context is inferring?

Hope you can shed some light on this for me,

Best Wishes,

Martin Wells
Bristol
UK