[b-greek] Re: NIPTW

From: Ken Smith (kens@180solutions.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 20:40:52 EST

The verb in Hebrew is RXC (rachatz). The idea of "washing your feet" is
actually a fairly common expression, and in most instances doesn't seem
to have any particular sexual connotation (e.g., Abraham inviting his
three visitors to wash their feet in Gen. 18:4). The other times this
particular phrase in Hebrew occurs are:

Gen. 19:2
Gen. 18:4
Gen. 24:32
Gen. 43:24
Judges 19:21
1 Sam. 25:41
2 Sam. 11:8
Cant. 5:3

All of these are translated by some variation of NIPTW TOUS PODAS. (1
Sam. 25:41 is lacking the article; in Gen. 24:32, TOIS POSIN are in the
dative case.)

Other than 2 Sam. 11:8, I don't think any of these clearly refer to
sexual intercourse (though the idea of nubility is perhaps in the
background of Cant. 5:3, Gen. 24:32, and Judges 19:21). You're clearly
correct in your understanding of what David is actually hoping Uriah
will do -- but that's something you'd have to pick up from the context:
I don't think that sexual intercourse is an inherent part of the meaning
of this expression, either in Hebrew or in Greek. The literal meaning
is probably closer to something like, "refresh yourself," and under
normal circumstances I don't think it would have been understood as a
euphemism for anything more untoward.

Sorry if this is off topic a bit . . .

Ken Smith