[b-greek] Re: hOMOIWS 1Pt 3:1 particula transeundi?

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 01:44:29 EST

The point here is that hOMOIWS 1Pt 3:1 appears to be functioning as a
"thematised adverb" (*Brown & Yule) which links the previous discourse
segment with the following. J.E. Huther understood this in the 1870's even
though he used different terminology:

"hOMOIWS not simply a particula transeundi; on account of the subsequent
hUPOTASSOMENAI it stands related rather to the exhortation in what precedes;
the participle here as in chap. ii. 18."

Note that hUPOTASSW appears in 2pet 2:13, 18 and 3:1. So the general topic
of hUPOTASSW has been developed over three segments. It may be that hOMOIWS
only makes reference to this general topic. That is H. Alford's take on it.
However, I don't think we can assume that without a careful look at the
continuities and discontinuities between the 2:18-25 and 3:1f segments.

That project is beyond the scope of my topic in this post. I only wanted to
voice a protest against J. Michael's (1Pet WBC, p.156) comment that
"hOMOIWS is simply a connective . . .."

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*See page 131-132 in Brown, G. and G. Yule. Discourse Analysis. Cambridge:
Cambridge UP, 1983.