[b-greek] Intermediate Badminton & Discourse Analysis

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 17:15:27 EST

How to find your way in Discourse Analysis of NT Greek

Back during the LBJ's last year in office I signed up for a college PE
course called: Intermediate Badminton on the assumption that this was a
sport that required next to no skill so there was no point in taking
Badminton 101. I was wrong and it was an up hill struggle to survive in
competition with all the Bad. 101 grads.

I don't learn from my mistakes and so with Discourse Analysis I have done
essentially the same thing. Started off Reading stuff like Longacre's
Grammar of Discourse and T. Givon, S. Dik, J. Reed, (see bib. attached).

Well a few months ago I decided to go back and take DA 101. I started by
getting SIL's Intro** to DA (Acrobat Doc.) from Wayne's web site. And then I
found a used copy of Brown & Yule and asked Cindy Westfall if I should get
it and she said yes. Always take Cindy's comments on these matters seriously
so now I am reading Brown & Yule along with my work in 1Enoch, 1&2Peter and
Jude.

So now I am back tracking and filling in the gaps. There are lots of gaps.

If you have bogged down trying to understand Levinsohn or Reed or Longacre
you might try signing up for Badminton 101, go grab the SIL pdf document.

SIL DA Intro PDF file (A4 paper, so adjust your printer settings!) :
http://www.und.nodak.edu/dept/linguistics/textbooks/DooleyLevinsohn.pdf

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

A few titles on DA:

Reed, Jeffrey T. "Identifying Theme in the New Testament: Insights from
Discourse Analysis." In Discourse Analysis and Other Topics in Biblical
Greek. Ed. Stanley Porter & D.A. Carson. Journal for the Study of the New
Testament Supplement Series 113. Sheffield, England: Sheffield Academic
Press, 1995.

Porter, Stanley E. & Jeffrey T. Reed ³Discourse Analysis and the New
Testament, Sheffield Academic Press, 1999

Reed, Jeffrey T ³A discourse analysis of Philippians²Sheffield Academic
Press, 1997.

Barnwell, K. Introduction to Semantics and Translation. Houseless Green,
England: SIL, 1980.

Beaugrande, R. de and W. Dressler. Introduction to Text Linguistics. Lon-
don: Longman, 1981.

Beekman, J. and Callow J. and M. Kopesec. The Semantic Structure of Written
Communication. Dallas: Summer Institute of Linguistics, 1981.

Bergen, R. D. "Text as a Guide to Authorial Intention: An Introduction to
Discourse Criticism." JETS 30 (1987): 327-36.

Black, D. A., ed. Linguistics and New Testament Interpretation. Nashville:
Broadman, 1992.

Bodine, W. R., ed. Discourse Analysis of Biblical Literature: What it is
and
What it Offers. Atlanta: Scholars, 1995.

Brown, G. and G. Yule. Discourse Analysis. Cambridge: Cambridge UP,
1983.

Cotterell, Peter. and Max Turner. Linguistics & Biblical Interpretation.
Downers
Grove: InterVarsity, 1989.

Guthrie, George H. The structure of Hebrews : a text-linguistic analysis,
Grand Rapids, Mich. : Baker Books, 1998, Leiden, Netherlands E.. J. Brill
1994.

Louw, J. P. Semantics of New Testament Greek. Atlanta: Scholars, 1982.

Neeley, L. L. "A Discourse Analysis of Hebrews." OPTAT 1 (1987): 1-146.

Porter, S. E. "Studying Ancient Languages from a Modern Linguistic Per-
spective: Essential Terms and Terminology." Filologia Neotestamen-
taria 2(1989): 147-71.

Porter, S. E. and D. A. Carson, eds. Biblical Greek Language and Linguis-
tics: Open Questions in Current Research. JSNTS 80. Sheffield: JSOT,
1993.

Porter, S. E. and D. A. Carson, eds,Linguistics and the New Testament:
Critical Junctures, Sheffield July 1999.

 Robert E. Longacre, <<The
Grammar of Discourse>> (New York: Plenum Press, 2nd edition, 1996).

Bodine, W. R., ed. Discourse Analysis of Biblical Literature: What it is and
What it Offers. Atlanta: Scholars, 1995.

Brown, G. and G. Yule. Discourse Analysis. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1983.

Neeley, L. L. "A Discourse Analysis of Hebrews." OPTAT 1 (1987): 1-146.

Porter, S. E. "Studying Ancient Languages from a Modern Linguistic Per-
spective: Essential Terms and Terminology." Filologia Neotestamen- taria
2(1989): 147-71.

Levinsohn, Stephen Discourse Features of New Testament Greek,2nd Ed.
 SIL2000.

Dik, Simon. Functional Grammar, Dordrecht, Netherlands,1981.

Dik, Simon. The Theory of Functional Grammar (Part 1), Mouton de Gruyter
1997

Givon, Talmy. Syntax: A Functional-Typological Introduction, (2 vols.)
Benjamins, Amsterdam, 1984, 1990.

Givon, Talmy. Topic Continuity in Discourse, Benjamins, Amsterdam, 1983.

Meynet, Roland, Rhetorical analysis : an introduction to biblical rhetoric
Sheffield Academic Press, c1998.

Heimerdinger, Jean-Marc. Topic, focus and foreground in ancient Hebrew
narratives, Sheffield Academic Press, c1999.

Terry, Ralph Bruce. , A discourse analysis of First Corinthians, Dallas :
Summer Institute of Linguistics ; [Arlington] : University of Texas at
Arlington, 1995.