[b-greek] Re: hOSOI in Rom 6.3

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 00:05:41 EST

on 1/19/02 7:59 PM, Steven Lo Vullo wrote:

> Rom 6.3: hOSOI EBAPTISQHMEN EIS CRISTON IHSOUN, EIS TON QANATON AUTOU
> EBAPTISQHMEN;
>
> This is probably a simple question, but for some reason I can't get a
> grip on it. Does the correlative pronoun hOSOI serve as the subject of
> both occurrences of EBAPTISQHMEN? Or is there another, implied, subject
> (other than the "we" inherent in the verb) in the second occurrence of
> EBAPTISQHMEN that answers to hOSOI?

Steve,

Depends on what you mean by "subject." As you well know, in parallelism
(chaistic or otherwise) it is customary to elide constituents in the second
colon which can be assumed from the first colon. This is just good writing,
according to E. Hemingway, one should always leave out everything that can
be taken for granted.

So if by "subject" you mean the syntactical subject, I would say that hOSOI
is not the syntactical subject of the second colon. The second colon uses
zero anaphora (verb inflection for person) to bind the second colon to the
first colon. This is a rhetorical technique that promotes cohesion within
the parallel structure.

greetings,

Clay

--