[b-greek] Re: 1 Tim 2:7

From: Bryant J. Williams III (bjwvmw@com-pair.net)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 02:07:52 EST

Dear Iver,

This may be a case of semantics, but why not both 1 & 2? My reasoning is that Paul, as the
apostle and teacher of the gospel which he is proclaiming, is faithfully and truthfully (a
Semitism since faith and truth come from the same Hebrew root ?) teaching the faith and the
truth (which was the same that the other apostles had taught (see Gal 1-2). One could say that a
person could faithfully and truthfully teach false doctrine and lies (this does happen), but
Paul is emphatically indicating that he is speaking the truth and not lying.

If the above reasoning is not sufficient, and I have some reservations about it, then EN +
Dative would be Manner. Dative of Means/Instrument would be possible, but unlikely since
teaching is not impersonal. Dative of Content would be less likely since the actual content is
not mentioned unless one thinks that "faith and truth"are the content mentioned in 2:3-6. This
would be possible because of the use ALHQEIAS in 2:4.

En Xpistw,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III