[b-greek] Re: acts 13:48 last part

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 22:15:08 EST

In a message dated 1/31/2002 9:40:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
waldoslusher@yahoo.com writes:

>..KAI EPISTEUSAN hOSOI HSAN TETAGMENOI EIS ZWHN
>AIWNION

>There seems to me to be two verbals here in this last
>section of the verse. Can someone tell me the correct
>time sequence of these two acts or events.

>In other words, is it this way:

>First: EPISTEUSAN
>Next: HSAN TETAGMENOI

>Or, is it this way as to time:

>First: HSAN TETAGMENOI
>Next: EPISTEUSAN

>If they are a "tie," does word order help the exegete
>clear this up somewhat?

Well, here I go sticking my foot in it again. In a passage like this I can
hardly avoid revealing my Calvinist background. My rather INELEGANT
translation would be

". . . and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed."

First: Election
Second: Belief

gfsomsel