[b-greek] Re: acts 13:48 last part

From: Alan B. Thomas (a_b_thomas@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 19:20:50 EST

> ..KAI EPISTEUSAN hOSOI HSAN TETAGMENOI EIS ZWHN
> AIWNION
>
> There seems to me to be two verbals here in this
> last
> section of the verse. Can someone tell me the
> correct
> time sequence of these two acts or events.

Waldo, within this context, Luke says in verse 46...

KAI OUK AXIOUS KRINETE hEAUTOUS THS AIWNIOU ZWHS...

The active verb KRINETE is Luke's view of who produces
the action. I really do not see much that would change
that in just 2 verses.

HSAN TETAGMENOI would, at least in this context, and
in accordance with Luke's usage, be middle here. The
middle verb then corresponds to the active verb in
verse 46, completing the parallel.

However these Gentiles arranged themselves, it was an
arrangement that qualified them for eternal life,
unlike the Jews who actively disqualified themselves.

This construct is not addressing which came first: the
chicken or the egg. All we know is that these Gentiles
arranged themselves, whether that arrangement was a
by-product of belief or some other event is not
clarified here.

=====
Sincerely,

Alan B. Thomas

"Unless God provides indisputable, verifiable evidence of His revelation to mankind,
 it must be rejected at all costs...."