[b-greek] Re: acts 13:48 last part

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 21:09:57 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated 2/2/2002 7:21:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, a_b_thomas@yahoo.com writes:
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
<BR>HSAN TETAGMENOI would, at least in this context, and
<BR>in accordance with Luke's usage, be middle here. The
<BR>middle verb then corresponds to the active verb in
<BR>verse 46, completing the parallel.
<BR>
<BR>However these Gentiles arranged themselves, it was an
<BR>arrangement that qualified them for eternal life,
<BR>unlike the Jews who actively disqualified themselves.
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>Luke 7.8 has
<BR>
<BR>KAI GAR EGW ANQRWPOS EIMI hUPO ECOUSIAN TASSOMENOS . . .
<BR>
<BR>Here the usage would seem to be passive rather than middle. &nbsp;On the other hand, Acts 28.23 has
<BR>
<BR>TACAMENOI DE AUTWi hHMERAN HLQON PROS AUTON . . .
<BR>
<BR>This would seem to be middle since it must refer to the subject (included in the verb and referring back to TOUS ONTAS TWN IOUDAIWN PRWTOS in v. 17). &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>I would say that "Luke's usage" does not appear to be exclusively in favor of the middle. Nor does the usage appear to favor a sense of "arranging" so much as appointing. &nbsp;In Lk 7.8 the centurion is appointed. &nbsp;In Acts 28.23 they appoint a day. &nbsp;In Mt. 28.16 Jesus appoints the site where the disciples are to assemble.
<BR>
<BR>It would be my judgement that the meaning is "to appoint" and that it must be construed as a passive and therefore be translated in the sense "as many as had been appointed." &nbsp;I could make some theological comments, but I'll bite my tongue.
<BR>
<BR>gfsomsel</FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>