[b-greek] Lk 8.26-39 many or sufficient?

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 12:14:10 EST

In preparing a unicode HTML version of Luke I arrived at this passage. It
struck me that there was a reason for the statement of v. 30

EPHRWTHSEN DE AUTON hO IHSOUS "TI SOI ONOMA ESTIN?"

In the ANE knowledge of the name was considered to be to have power over the
one named: cf. Gen 32.27 ff where Jacob is given a new name and then asks for
the "angel's" name. He is rebuffed with the question, "Why do you ask my
name?" because it was an obvious attempt to gain power over God himself. Or
cf. Rev. 2.17

TWi NIKWNTI DWSW AUTWi TOU MANNA TOU KEKRUMMENOU KAI DWSW AUTWi YHFON LEUKHN,
KAI <B>EPI TH YHFON ONOMA KAINON GEGRAMMENON hO OUDEIS OIDEN EI MH hO LAMBANWN
</b>.

where it would seem that the idea is that those who practise magic (a
recurrent theme in Revelation) would not have any power over those having the
new name.

In our passage, however, I don't think this idea comes into play. It is
clearly assumed that Jesus has authority to send the demons into the abyss.
Then we come to the mention of the herd in v. 32 ff. where is is said

HN EKEI AGELH hIKANWN BOSKOMENH EN TWi OREI

This is usually translated as "a large herd" or "a herd of many" or some
similar phrase. I began to wonder if perhaps the signifancance of hIKANWN
might be that the herd was "sufficient" to accomodate the number of demons
since it is emphasized that

hO DE EIPEN, "LEGIWN", hOTI EISHLQEN <B>DAIMONIA POLLA</b> EIS AUTON.

gfsomsel