[b-greek] past tense augment

From: Rbsads@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 22:42:59 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>Different beginner Greek texts teach the tense and aspect of the aorist differently. &nbsp;I have read the aorist explained as past tense, punctiliar, undefined, and action viewed as a whole.
<BR>
<BR>I have been studying NT Greek for about 1 year, and so have limited experience, but the latter explanation has seemed the most satisfactory to my understanding. &nbsp;The verb tenses seem best explained as rendering aspect rather than time.
<BR>
<BR>Any comments would be appreciated, but my question is not primarily concerned with a discussion over aspect vs tense in verb form.
<BR>
<BR>My question is concerning the grammarians who interpret verb form as rendering aspect and not time. For these it seems that temporal indications are entirely contextual. &nbsp;How do these grammarians understand the significance of the tense augment for the aorist and imperfect? &nbsp;Most explanations indicate that the augment indicates past tense, which of course is not consistent with an understanding of verbal form as rendering aspect only.
<BR>
<BR>Another question, of course, might be the significance of the imperfect if it renders aspect but not past tense.
<BR>
<BR>And of course at bottom, my concern is to give appropriate balance to both form and context in my reading of the GNT.
<BR>
<BR>All help is appreciated. And if this question is not appropriate for the list discussion, I would be grateful for anyone who send their insights privately.
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>Thank you,
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>Richard Smith
<BR>Chattanooga, TN</FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>