[b-greek] Re: PRWTON in Rom 1.16

From: Steven Lo Vullo (slovullo@mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 21:11:42 EST

on 2/18/02 4:39 PM, c stirling bartholomew at
cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> Having read Carl's and Moon's comments I will suggest an alternative
> approach.
>
> ROM. 1:16 OU GAR EPAISCUNOMAI TO EUAGGELION, DUNAMIS GAR QEOU ESTIN EIS
> SWTHRIAN PANTI TW PISTEUONTI, IOUDAIW TE PRWTON KAI ELLHNI.
>
> Let's expand this into three parallel constructions:
>

> DUNAMIS . . . QEOU ESTIN EIS SWTHRIAN PANTI TWi PISTEUONTI
> [DUNAMIS . . . QEOU ESTIN EIS SWTHRIAN] IOUDAIW . . . PRWTON
> [DUNAMIS . . . QEOU ESTIN EIS SWTHRIAN] ELLHNI
>

> Perhaps this shows the "ellipsis" (in brackets) Steven asked about. Using
> this expanded form, one might be tempted to see PRWTON as limiting the the
> entire expression [DUNAMIS . . . QEOU ESTIN EIS SWTHRIAN].
>
> As the text stands in the GNT (w/o the expansions), IOUDAIW is a subset of
> TWi PISTEUONTI. ELLHNI is also a subset TWi PISTEUONTI. The first statement
> DUNAMIS . . . QEOU ESTIN EIS SWTHRIAN PANTI TWi PISTEUONTI states the global
> formula, and IOUDAIW/ELLHNI make specific distinctions within the global
> statement. PRWTON makes a further distinction between the 2nd and third
> statements.
>
> So we might see this as semantic hierarchy (top down):
>
> (level one) DUNAMIS . . . QEOU ESTIN EIS SWTHRIAN PANTI TWi PISTEUONTI
> (level two) IOUDAIWi TE . . . KAI hELLHNI
> (level three) IOUDAIW . . . PRWTON

Clay:

Thanks for the confirmation. This is exactly the conclusion I came to last
night after mulling this over for a while. For some reason I was originally
taking IOUDAIWi and hELLHNI as appositives to TWi PISTEUONTI. When I
realized this was incorrect, and that they were subsets of TWi PISTEUONTI
(as you say above) things began to fall into place. And thanks also for the
helpful semantic hierarchy.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI
slovullo@mac.com