[b-greek] Re: Attic and Homeric Greek vs. Koine

From: Steven Lo Vullo (slovullo@mac.com)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 16:18:02 EST

on 2/23/02 12:40 PM, Chuck Tripp at ctripp@ptialaska.net wrote:

Hi Chuck:

> Here is a couple of examples: the construction MEN....DE. A weakened form
> of 'on the one hand, on the other hand' is fairly common in
> attic/herodotus, appears a few times in the NT but is not that frequent.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "a few times." A quick Accordance
search turned up 204 verses wherein both MEN and DE occur together at least
once. Even taking into consideration false hits, it seems to me probable
that we have more than "a few" cases of balanced structure with MEN ...DE,
although I didn't have the time to look at the hits carefully.

> Also, the word TE, used in common with KAI, is used very frequently in
> attic/herodotus. It pops up i think in Luke/Acts and a few Pauline letters.
> The TE lets the reader know that another KAI is coming or that there is a
> series or that if it accompanies a second KAI that that second has a link
> the first KAI.

I did the same kind of search for TE with KAI and turned up 464 hits where
both occurred together at least once. Again, some of these may not be what
you have in mind above, but it seems to me that even after accounting for
false hits there are probably still a considerable number of examples. I
think it would take a more careful examination of the hits to say anything
for sure, but I'm inclined to think these constructions are more common than
you imagine.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI
slovullo@mac.com