[b-greek] Re: Attic and Homeric Greek vs. Koine

From: Chuck Tripp (ctripp@ptialaska.net)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 16:35:19 EST

Hi Steve,

> I guess it depends on what you mean by "a few times." A quick Accordance
> search turned up 204 verses wherein both MEN and DE occur together at
least
> once.

I have a UBS 4th edition NT text. It has 886 pages, which means I should
run into that construction once every 4 pages. Actually, that sounds about
right. In Herodotus, I run into it anywhere from once to several times per
page.

> I did the same kind of search for TE with KAI and turned up 464 hits where
> both occurred together at least once. Again, some of these may not be what
> you have in mind above, but it seems to me that even after accounting for
> false hits there are probably still a considerable number of examples. I
> think it would take a more careful examination of the hits to say anything
> for sure, but I'm inclined to think these constructions are more common
than
> you imagine.

If, those 464 usages were evenly distributed even throughout the GNT, one
would expect to find it on every other page or so in my 4th edition UBS. I
have opened up my Herodotus to a page which has 28 lines, book 2, last half
of 162 to 164, TE pops up 5 times on that one page. According to the
Perseus web site, TE has a frequency of 148/10K in Herodotus and 97 times in
Greek literature in general.

Here is a quote from Thayers on TE usage: " it occurs most frequently in
Acts, then the Epistles to the Hebrews, somewhat more rarely in the other
books, (in Mt. three or four times, in Mk. once, in John three times;
nowhere in the Epp. to the Gal., Thess or Co., or the Epistles of John and
Peter; twice in text. Rec. of Rev...."

I have not read Luke in the GNT, but from my personal reading experience,
only in Acts have I seen TE... KAI used in anywhere near the frequency of
Attic or Herodotus where one is likely to encounter the word at least once
or several times per page.

Chuck