[b-greek] Re: Attic and Homeric Greek vs. Koine

From: Ann Nyland (accuratebibles@accuratebibles.com)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 23:07:12 EST

I would suggest the Odyssey rather than the Iliad as it is more of a story
and the reader is not struggling with vocab. for guts, liver, kidneys,
spleen, and so on. And imv, it is a little easier. No doubt a medical
student would prefer the Iliad, while people eating breakfast would prefer
the Odyssey.

Yes, in an exam I once translated "I have been around the world and had many
adventures" instead of the correct, "The Sidonian women dyed their garments
purple."

In a 1st year exam, we had a comprehension entitled, in English, "The envoys
have come about a truce" followed by a slab of Greek from Anabasis. The
first question (a throw-away, so people could recover from the unseen) was
"Why have the envoys come?" - most people didn't know!

Ann Nyland