[b-greek] Re: Attic and Homeric Greek vs. Koine

From: porson (porson@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 22:41:16 EST

Well,

I guess I'll weigh in somewhat differently. I follow the method of the
Jesuit secondary schools: Homeric Greek and Homer first. Reasons: useful
vocabulary, interesting story, easy transition to attic forms and
authors. The distance between Homer and the Attic authors is actually
less than is often made of it, especially when the progress is forward
rather than backward, and the nature of the writing makes for rapid
development of fluency, as well as rapid absorption of vocabulary. The
poetry and its formulaic structure provide a more than adequate spur to
the memory.

Porson