[b-greek] Re: Attic and Homeric Greek vs. Koine

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 22:52:19 EST

In a message dated 2/23/2002 8:20:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
accuratebibles@accuratebibles.com writes:

>Once you are reasonably
>happy with such texts, then move to the Ionic dialect - Homer and Herodotos
>(say Book 2). Try the Odyssey rather than the Iliad. After that, move to NT
>Greek which will be a welcome relief!

Hmm. I remember in 2nd yr. Greek translating something on the order of

MHNIN AEIDE QEA PHLHIADEW AXILHOS . . .
"Sing, goddess, of the wrath of Achileus . . . "

from Book I of the Iliad - which brings me to my question: Why would you
recommend the Odyssey rather than the Iliad?

gfsomsel