[b-greek] Re: Attic and Homeric Greek vs. Koine

From: Lyle E. & Christine A. Buettner (buettner@mcleodusa.net)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 12:53:33 EST

Stephen,

I've been reading many posts to this thread including the one from Carl
Conrad. Let me say that I have been trained in biblical greek (at an LCMS
college), currently reading attic greek (at Washington U.), and studying for
ministry (at Concordia Seminary). My hope is to be a theologian who is
highly philologically trained, then teach greek and/or research greek
patristic mss.

I can't give right now any statistical analysis others have such as the
occurrences of TE and KAI or MEN and DE. You will run across vocab or
syntax, which you have never seen, but you will learn and continue to go
forward. Here is a vocab / semantic example I just ran across this semester
while reading Lysis I. "hAMARTAVW" (and it's derivatives) I learned in
biblical greek as "to sin" (and all the denotations and connotations that
"sin" would imply --i.e. something that causes us to be separated from God,
or something what causes us to "miss the mark" of God's righteousness, or
whatever specific teaching your denomination has regarding sin). Whereas in
Lysis I, when "hAMARTAVW" (and it's derivatives) is (are) used, it isn't as
strong as the biblical semantics. [I've only thought of this a little bit,
but maybe the semantic realm of the biblical hAMARTAVW would be closer to
the semantic realm of attic hUBRIZW? (Carl: where would I look to find out
whether there is any scholarly comparison of biblical hAMARTAVW and attic
hUBRIZW?)]

What I can offer right now is just to say that as long as you have a certain
desire to learn attic greek, you will learn it. And by the sound of the
question, you certainly have the desire.

Good luck.
Lyle E. Buettner