[b-greek] Re: MOICALIS in Rom 7.3

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 15:34:17 EST

In a message dated 2/24/02 10:21:24 AM, cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu writes:
>At 7:52 AM -0600 2/24/02, Steven Lo Vullo wrote:
>>Hi all:
>>
>>Rom 7.3: ARA OUN ZWNTOS TOU ANDROS MOICALIS CRHMATISEI EAN GENHTAI ANDRI
>>hETERWi ...
>>Should MOICALIS be considered a predicate nominative here, or a nominative
>>of appellation? The verbs I've seen that take a predicate nominative
>>(outside of EIMI, GINOMAI and hUPARCW) are passive (such as KALEW and
>>hEURISKW). On the other hand, the nominative of appellation seems to occur
>>somewhat as a complement after a direct object in the expected case (cf.Jn
>>13.13, hUMEIS FWNEITE ME hO DIDASKALOS KAI hO KURIOS; Rev 9.11, ONOMA ECEI
>>APOLLUWN).
>
>>============
>Looks to me like a predicate word, the construction here calling for the
>name/appellation to be in the same case as the subject; cf. Acts 11:26.
>CRHMATIZW is an interesting verb--'active' in morphology, but functioning
>in this sense as a middle-passive or copula, very much, in fact, like
>German 'heissen' or French 's'appeller'. BDAG has an interesting note (to
>which I call attention but which I shall not cite) on the derivation of
>CRHMATIZW in this sense as different from that of CHRMATIZW in the sense of
>revelation.

Several of the text books that deal separately with the nominative case used
with verbs of naming, KALEW, FWNEW, CRHMATIZW (in the sense of "reveal
someone to be something") as nominatives of appelation. They would reserve
the predicate nominatives for those instances of the nominative used with a
verb to be, either expressed or understood. One example often cited is Luke
2:21 EKLHQH TO ONOMA AUTOU IHSOUS. There is always a kind of understood
sense of "to be" in these but that may be more in English than in the Greek.

Keep in mind that such categories are efforts to describe what can be
observed about the contextual meaning of the Greek. Thus any difference here
is in what we think we see in the functions of the cases.

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College