[b-greek] Luke 2:21

From: Nelson D. Kloosterman (ndk@jorsm.com)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 21:27:14 EST

I have some translation questions regarding Luke 2:21, which reads:

KAI hOTE EPLHSQHSAN hHMERAI OKTW TOU PERITEMEIN AUTON KAI EKLHQH TO ONOMA
AUTOU IHSOUS, TO KLHQEN hUPO TOU AGGELOU PRO TOU SULLHMFQHNAI AUTON EN THi
KOILIAi.

1. Regarding the first part of the verse, I assume the subject of the main
verb is hHMERAI OKTW. What is the grammatical function of the infinitive
phrase TOU PERITEMEIN AUTOU? Could the opening of the verse be translated:
"And when the eight days were completed, he being circumcised, his name was
also called. . ."?

2. If we may assume that, in the last part of the verse, the AUTON refers
to IHSOUS, how should the infinitive phrase SULLHMFQHNAI AUTON EN THi
KOILIAi be rendered?

3. Am I correct in understanding the focus of the verse to be not on Jesus'
circumcision (contra several editorial headings in Bible translations), but
rather his naming -- which happened to occur (significantly) at the time of
his circumcision?

Nelson Kloosterman