[b-greek] Re: EIS in Acts 2:39

From: Steven Lo Vullo (slovullo@mac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 21:49:06 EST

on 3/5/02 7:00 PM, Kevin Cauley at cauley@airmail.net wrote:

> What is the difference in the meaning of EIS in Acts 2:38 (EIS AFESIN
> hAMARTIWN) and the EIS in Acts 2:39 (EIS MAKRAN OSOUS)? It seems to me that
> in 2:38 the preposition is indicating result, but in 2:39 it is almost
> dative in nature.

I think EIS MAKRAN is used to express extent, in this case extent of space.
This is a case of a prepositional phrase functioning nominally,
substantivized by the article. It is also interesting in that the object of
the preposition is an adverb. A very rough way to convey this in English
would be "to all the far-away ones." It describes those who inhabit distant
environs. The correlative pronoun hOSOUS (modified by AN) is the object of
PROSKALESHTAI, and relates to hUMIN, TOIS TEKNOIS, and PASIN TOIS EIS
MAKRAN.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI
slovullo@mac.com