[b-greek] Re: EIS in Acts 2:39

From: Kevin Cauley (cauley@airmail.net)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 23:33:57 EST

I think you may have misread what I was intending to say. Yes, I agree,
translators must use different words in different contexts and for different
reasons. I was trying to HIGHLIGHT the differences here in Acts 2:38 and
contrast it with verse 39 to draw out the different meaning of verse 39, but
I guess I didn't do such a good job at that. In verse 38, EIS could be
translated, "to," "for," "into," "unto" or more loosely, "in order that" and
still make sense given its object; but in verse 39 only "to" "for" or "unto"
seem to fit as a translation. It would be awkward to say, "For the promise
is to you and to your children and INTO all them that are a far off;" that
flavor of EIS does not seem to apply to its object here; hence, it is more
dative oriented as opposed to more results oriented (as in verse 38). Does
that make more sense? Sorry for the confusion.