[b-greek] Re: Acts 14:1

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 07:07:07 EST

At 12:45 PM +0100 3/14/02, Iver Larsen wrote:
> [omitted material]
>It seems to me that restricting the idiom to the English "together" or to
>communality of action or time, may be too narrow. What about communality in
>manner?
>
>> ACTS 14:1 EGENETO DE EN IKONIW KATA TO AUTO EISELQEIN AUTOUS EIS THN
>> SUNAGWGHN TWN IOUDAIWN KAI LALHSAI OUTWS WSTE PISTEUSAI IOUDAIWN TE KAI
>> ELLHNWN POLU PLHQOS.
>
>Could one get the sense of Acts 14.1 from "It happened equally/alike in
>Iconium as they entered..."
>I still think "in the same way/pattern" fits the context better than "in the
>same place/together" or "at the same time/together". NRSV supports this by
>saying "The same thing occurred in Iconium".
>But I can see that the option of "together" is also possible, since this is
>a common sense of the idiom. It is just that I would have expected the
>phrase to occur after AUTOUS or even later in the sentence if this had been
>the intended meaning. That is, as NRSV I connect the phrase with EGENETO,
>not with ESIELQEIN. If I were to connect it with EISELQEIN the fronting
>would suggest an emphasis on their going into the synagogue *together* which
>I cannot see is supported by the context.

Iver, I think you're right here, and it strikes me that the appropriate
English, at least, for KATA TO AUTO might be simply "likewise." It's
interesting how Koine Greek kept developing new adverbial expressions using
prepositional phrases, and especially with KATA: KATA MEROS, KAQ' hOLOU,
KAQ' hHMERAN, KTL.