[b-greek] Re: Acts 14:1

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 06:45:03 EST

> KATA TO AUTO in the LXX:
>
> 1KINGS 3:18 KAI EGENHQH EN TH HMERA TH TRITH TEKOUSHS MOU KAI ETEKEN KAI H
> GUNH AUTH KAI HMEIS KATA TO AUTO KAI OUK ESTIN OUQEIS MEQ HMWN PAREX
> AMFOTERWN HMWN EN TW OIKW

> EX. 26:24 KAI ESTAI EX ISOU KATWQEN KATA TO AUTO ESONTAI ISOI EK TWN
> KEFALIDWN EIS SUMBLHSIN MIAN OUTWS POIHSEIS AMFOTERAIS TAIS DUSIN GWNIAIS
> ESTWSAN
>
> 1SAM. 11:11 KAI EGENHQH META THN AURION KAI EQETO SAOUL TON LAON EIS TREIS
> ARCAS KAI EISPOREUONTAI MESON THS PAREMBOLHS EN FULAKH TH PRWINH
> KAI ETUPTON
> TOUS UIOUS AMMWN EWS DIEQERMANQH H HMERA KAI EGENHQHSAN OI UPOLELEIMMENOI
> DIESPARHSAN KAI OUC UPELEIFQHSAN EN AUTOIS DUO KATA TO AUTO
>
> 1SAM. 30:24 KAI TIS UPAKOUSETAI UMWN TWN LOGWN TOUTWN OTI OUC HTTON UMWN
> EISIN DIOTI KATA THN MERIDA TOU KATABAINONTOS EIS POLEMON OUTWS ESTAI H
> MERIS TOU KAQHMENOU EPI TA SKEUH KATA TO AUTO MERIOUNTAI
>
> 1SAM. 31:6 KAI APEQANEN SAOUL KAI OI TREIS UIOI AUTOU KAI O AIRWN TA SKEUH
> AUTOU EN TH HMERA EKEINH KATA TO AUTO
>
> 2SAM. 2:16 KAI EKRATHSAN EKASTOS TH CEIRI THN KEFALHN TOU PLHSION
> AUTOU KAI
> MACAIRA AUTOU EIS PLEURAN TOU PLHSION AUTOU KAI PIPTOUSIN KATA TO AUTO KAI
> EKLHQH TO ONOMA TOU TOPOU EKEINOU MERIS TWN EPIBOULWN H ESTIN EN GABAWN

Thanks, these are helpful.
The NRSV translates most of these as "together" when two or more people are
involved in the same action in some way. For 1 Sam 30:24 they say "they
shall share alike". Not only shall they share together, but they shall share
in the same way, equally.

It seems to me that restricting the idiom to the English "together" or to
communality of action or time, may be too narrow. What about communality in
manner?

> ACTS 14:1 EGENETO DE EN IKONIW KATA TO AUTO EISELQEIN AUTOUS EIS THN
> SUNAGWGHN TWN IOUDAIWN KAI LALHSAI OUTWS WSTE PISTEUSAI IOUDAIWN TE KAI
> ELLHNWN POLU PLHQOS.

Could one get the sense of Acts 14.1 from "It happened equally/alike in
Iconium as they entered..."
I still think "in the same way/pattern" fits the context better than "in the
same place/together" or "at the same time/together". NRSV supports this by
saying "The same thing occurred in Iconium".
But I can see that the option of "together" is also possible, since this is
a common sense of the idiom. It is just that I would have expected the
phrase to occur after AUTOUS or even later in the sentence if this had been
the intended meaning. That is, as NRSV I connect the phrase with EGENETO,
not with ESIELQEIN. If I were to connect it with EISELQEIN the fronting
would suggest an emphasis on their going into the synagogue *together* which
I cannot see is supported by the context.

Iver Larsen