[b-greek] RE: 1 Tim. 4:8a

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 16:39:39 EST

> hH GAR SWMATIKH GUMNASIA PROS OLIGON ESTIN WFELIMOS...

H DE EUSEBEIA PROS PANTA WFELIMOS ESTIN

> I guess the only thing that would qualify for
> bodily exercise in this whole passage is back
> in verse 3 APECESQAI BRWMATWN. Although the preceding
> verse (7) mentions GUMNAZE DE SEAUTON PROS EUSEBEIAN,
> it still seems to me that this expression in verse 8
> is abrupt, if not out of place.
>
> The GAR of verse 8 leads me to believe the writer is
> referring to something in the previous section, but I
> just don't see how this opening statement of verse
> 8 fits in to the section.
>
> The only other explanation is that this opening section
> constrasts well with what follows in the rest of the verse,
> but how then does GAR function in 8a?

If we think of the function of GAR as a linking word that picks up a word or
phrase from the preceding context and further develops or explains the
concept, then I don't see a problem.

You mentioned the concept GUMNAZE SEAUTON PROS EUSEBEIAN (train yourself in
godliness). This is what GAR picks up and develops by the contrast between
SWMATIKH GUMNASIA and the following EUSEBEIA.

When people heard GUMNAZE would most not think of physical training? Paul
seems to say that physical training is fine and useful, but has only short
time benefits, whereas spiritual training has benefits both for this present
life and the future life.

Iver Larsen