[b-greek] Philippians 1:27

From: boyd@huxcomm.net
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 11:18:33 EST

Dear B-Greekers,

I have two questions regarding Philippians 1:27.

MONON AXIWS TOU EUAGGELIOU TOU CRISTOU
POLITEUESQE, hINA EITE ELQWN KAI IDWN hUMAS EITE
APWN AKOUW TA PERI hUMWN, hOTI STHKETE EN hENI
PNEUMATI, MIAi YUCHi SUNAQLOUNTES THi PISTEI TOU
EUAGGELIOU

1) With which words does the AKOUW go? In my thinking, it is
the main verb of the hINA clause. e.g. hINA . . . AKOUW TA PERI
hUMWN. The hOTI then introduces the content of what he wants
to hear.

        Another understanding is that AKOUW goes with APWN. In
this understanding, a verb needs to be supplied in order to
understand the hOTI clause (e.g. NJB: "I shall find," NIV: "I will
know"). If this were the case, wouldn't we expect to see something
like, EITE APWN KAI AKOUWN TA PERI hUMWN?

2) Is STHKETE EN hENI PNEUMATI better understood as "in one
Spirit" (like 1 Cor. 12:13 & Eph. 2:18) or "in one spirit" (i.e. esprit
de corps). Against the majority, Gordon Fee in his NICNT
commentary argues for the first option. This question might better
be addressed off-list.

Thanks,
Jonathan Boyd
Huxley, IA