[b-greek] Re: Resurrection of Jesus

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 19:43:54 EST

At 6:02 PM -0600 3/27/02, dave willis wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Hrubi Krunoslav wrote:
>
>> I am confronted with a teaching which says, Jesus rose on Shabbat
>> (Saturday).
>
>where does it say that jesus rose on saturday? in rereading matthew,
>mark, luke, and john (kjv), i found nothing of that sort. jesus was put
>into the sepulchre on friday because of the approaching sabbath, and was
>discovered sunday after the sabbath, for the jews rested on the sabbath.

I think the original question concerned the sense of the phrase PRWI PRWTHi
SABBATOU in Mk 16:[9] ANASTAS DE PRWi PRWTHi SABBATOU EFANH PRWTON MARIAi
THi MAGADLHNHi. I think that simply means "early on the first day of the
week." Perhaps the difficulty was with SABBATOU as a singular.

L&N note two distinct usages of the singular:

67.177 SABBATON: SABBATONb, OU n. a period of seven days - 'week.' NHSTEUW
DIS TOU SABBATOU 'I fast two days a week' Lk 18:12; THi DE MIAi TWN
SABBATWN 'on the first day of the week' Jn 20:1. In some languages it may
be better to render Lk 18:12 as simply 'for every seven days, I fast two
days.' For the expression 'the first day of the week,' there may be a
number of complications, especially since in present-day usage Monday is
often regarded as 'the first day of the week.' For the NT, of course, the
Sabbath Day, or 'Saturday,' marked the seventh day of the week and the next
day would be regarded as 'the first day of the week,' namely, Sunday.

67.184 SABBATON: SABBATONa, OU n.: the seventh or last day of the week
(religiously the most important since it was consecrated to the worship of
God) - 'Sabbath, Saturday.' POIOUSIN hO OUK EXESTIN POIEIN EN SABBATWi–
'they do what one is not allowed to do on the Sabbath' Mt 12:2; EAN EMPESHi
TOUTO TOIS SABBASIN EIS BOQUNON 'if (your sheep) falls into a deep hole on
the Sabbath' Mt 12:11.