[b-greek] Re: DIAKONON in Romans 16:1

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 20:23:04 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated 3/27/2002 6:42:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, aei_didaskomenos@hotmail.com writes:
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
<BR>&gt; Cindy Smith &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I have further observed under the sun that
<BR>&gt; cms@dragon.com &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The race is not won by the swift,
<BR>&gt; cms@5sc.net &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Nor the battle by the valiant;
<BR>&gt; cms@romancatholic.org &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Nor is bread won by the wise,
<BR>&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Nor wealth by the intelligent,
<BR>&gt; Me transmitte sursum, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Nor favor by the learned.
<BR>&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Caledoni! &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;-- JPS Ecclesiastes 9:11
<BR>
<BR>DIAKONOS is obviously a feminine here, but it could be either a masculine
<BR>or a feminine noun. There are certain cases in Greek where a noun's genre
<BR>can only be defined either by the context or the article before it: hO, hH
<BR>SYZYGOS (=husband), hO, hH PAIS (= child).
<BR>____________________
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>One slight addition here. &nbsp;This is a second declension noun. &nbsp;Most 2nd decl. nouns are masc.; however, the gender can only truly be determined by the article as Manolis has stated (as you know, gender as used in grammatical terms does not invariably indicate physical gender). &nbsp;It is other indications here which in the absence of the definite article indicate that this is a female - viz. name and the use of ADELFHN. &nbsp;I'm wondering whether DIAKONOS might be only exhibited in the 2nd decl. due to its being a terminus technicus. &nbsp;It would not be unusual for a word to appear in both the 1st and 2nd declensions as is evidenced by ADELFOS and ADELFH, but DIAKON- doesn't occur in the 1st decl. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>Since you seem interested in dealing with the role of women in the N.T. (and early church?), you might look at _When Women Were Priests_, by Karen Jo Torjesen - if you haven't already. &nbsp;I can't say that I think too highly of it. &nbsp;It has some interesting material; however, she fails to deal adequately with the question of the role of women in the catholic church as opposed to sects and to examine whether the failure of the catholic church to establish/maintain women in positions of authority was due to their prominence in the sects. &nbsp;In fact, sometimes it is difficult to remember (or possibly to discern - it's been some time since I read this) whether the women she speaks of in positions of authority were in the catholic or sectarian tradition.
<BR>
<BR>gfsomsel</FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>