[b-greek] Re: Resurrection of Jesus

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@sogang.ac.kr)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 21:05:16 EST

> At 6:02 PM -0600 3/27/02, dave willis wrote:
> >On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Hrubi Krunoslav wrote:
> >
> >> I am confronted with a teaching which says, Jesus rose on Shabbat
> >> (Saturday).
> >
> >where does it say that jesus rose on saturday? in rereading matthew,
> >mark, luke, and john (kjv), i found nothing of that sort. jesus was put
> >into the sepulchre on friday because of the approaching sabbath, and was
> >discovered sunday after the sabbath, for the jews rested on the sabbath.
>
> I think the original question concerned the sense of the phrase PRWI PRWTHi
> SABBATOU in Mk 16:[9] ANASTAS DE PRWi PRWTHi SABBATOU EFANH PRWTON MARIAi
> THi MAGADLHNHi. I think that simply means "early on the first day of the
> week." Perhaps the difficulty was with SABBATOU as a singular.

The question has to do with whether we should construe PRWi PRWTHi
SABBATOU
with the preceding participle ANASTAS or the following main verb EFANH.

If we separate ANASTAS and PRWI PRWTHi SABBATOU, we are given two
seetings,
that is, "having risen" and "early on the first day of the week",
for the main verb EFANH. We will have:

Having risen, on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary.

The two settings stated without any relationship between them
confuses the reader. The reader would expect one setting
for the description of the appearance, that is, "Having risen early on
the first day of the week".

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea