[b-greek] RE: 2nd Corinthians 5:10

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 10:19:58 EST

At 2:53 PM +0000 3/28/02, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Iver:
>
>You wrote:
>
>-----
>>KAKOS can also mean "bad" as opposed to "good", e.g. the good slave and the
>>bad slave.
>>ATOPOS is very simliar to KAKOS, but a more rare word for "wrong, bad".
>>FAULOS seems to be a stronger word, more like English "evil".
>------
>
>The sense I get from BDAG is different than what you have
>said here. FAULOS seems to be a far less harsh word. It
>seems to denote "to be relatively inferior in quality, ordinary."
>In fact, BDAG suggests this is how 2 Cor. 5:10 is to be understood.
>
>On what basis do you give FAULOS the sense of "evil" ?

Judge for yourself:

Jn 3:20 PAS GAR hO FAULA PRASSWN MISEI TO FWS KAI OUK ERCETAI PROS TO FWS,
hINA MH ELEGQHi TA ERGA AUTOU

Jn 5:29 KAI EKPOREUSONTAI hOI TA AGAQA POIHSANTES EIS ANASTASIN ZWHS, hOI
DE TA FAULA PRAXANTES EIS ANASTASIN KRISEWS

Rom 9:11 MHPW GAR GENNHQENTWN MHDE PRAXANTWN TI AGAQON H FAULON, hINA hH
KAT' EKLOGHN PROQESIS TOU QEOU MENHi.

2 Cor 5:10 TOUS GAR PANTAS hHMAS FANERWQHNAI DEI EMPROSQEN TOU BHMATOS TOU
CRISTOU, hINA KOMISHTAI hEKASTOS TA DIA TOU SWMATOS PROS hA EPRAXEN, EITE
AGAQON EITE FAULON.

Titus 2:8 LOGON hUGIH AKATAGNWSTON, hINA hO EX ENANTIAS ENTRAPHi MHDEN ECWN
LEGEIN PERI hHMWN FAULON.

James 3:16 hOPOU GAR ZHLOS KAI ERIQEIA, EKEI AKATASTASIA KAI PAN FAULON PRAGMA.

That's all the GNT instances of this adjective. It appears to me that in
all of them FAULOS/H/ON really does mean "evil." One might argue that the
sense is simply "bad" in Titus 2:8, but in the others I can't see any real
difference from that of KAKOS/H/ON.

In older Greek, to be sure, FAULOS/H/ON had a more colloquial sense, as did
PONHROS (this is the sort of thing Nietzsche's _Genealogy of Morals_ is
good about, old as it is): FAULOS had the connotation of "trifling" or
"worthless," while PONHROS seems to have had the sense "of or associated
with labor or pain or people who do hard labor as opposed to the ELEUQEROI
who have leisure. In Aristophanes there's a distinct comic sense of the
kind of person who is a rogue. Some koine writers may occasionally use
these words in older ways, but in the NT the above instances of FAULOS/H/ON
don't really seem to be different in usage from KAKOS/H/ON.