[b-greek] Re: 2 Cor. 5:10 KOMISHTAI

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 13:47:07 EST

At 5:47 PM +0000 3/28/02, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Waldo's original question got me thinking about the
>earlier part of this verse.
>
>TOUS GAR PANTAS hHMAS FANERWQHNAI DEI EMPROSQEN
>TOU BHMATOS TOU CRISTOU hINA KOMISHTAI...
>
>It seems to me that one use of the BHMA was to stand
>before a Roman official, who would hear accusations and
>your defense in a court case atmosphere.
>
>That Paul here indicates that we stand before the BHMA
>in order to receive/get paid back does not seem to fit
>the judicial nature of the BHMA. The idea of receiving something
>seems more in keeping with the reward/wreaths one received
>at the games held in Corinth.

Gee, Mark, are you back to that old notion again? Do you recall ever
reading about the judgment pronounced at the Last Judgment as "receiving
one's reward"? Try MISQOS in Matthew's gospel, especially the Sermon on the
Mount. Now perhaps "receive one's reward" for MISQON
ECEIN/LAMBANEIN/APECEIN may have an Elizabethan English 'ring' to it, but
how about "get one's pay"? It's all very well to think in terms of an
athlete standing before an official at the games and receiving a prize, but
from what sort of official does one receive a PRIZE for the evil one has
done?