[b-greek] Re: 2 Cor. 5:10 KOMISHTAI

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 14:21:42 EST

<x-flowed>

Carl:

You wrote:

-----
>Gee, Mark, are you back to that old notion again? Do you recall ever
>reading about the judgment pronounced at the Last Judgment as "receiving
>one's reward"?

Yes. 1 Cor. 3... at least that's the believers' last judgment.
You either receive a reward, or lose it. And that is my point,
Paul is writing to the same folks.

-----
Try MISQOS in Matthew's gospel, especially the Sermon on the
>Mount. Now perhaps "receive one's reward" for MISQON
>ECEIN/LAMBANEIN/APECEIN may have an Elizabethan English 'ring' to it, but
>how about "get one's pay"? It's all very well to think in terms of an
>athlete standing before an official at the games and receiving a prize, but
>from what sort of official does one receive a PRIZE for the evil one has
>done?
------

This last question presupposed we have come to an agreement on
FAULOS, which is far from the case.... at least for now. I must
admit I will default to your scholarship.

This actually ties into the question of FAULOS. I really do not
understand why BDAG seems to be so "soft" on the word. One can
hardly get the idea of "evil" out of "inferior in quality, ordinary."
When was the last time you deemed something "evil" be virtue
of it being "inferior in quality, ordinary" ?

I also find it striking that the word hAMARTIA is never used
of the final judgment. Even in Rev. 20. the issue there is
ERGA, which I suppose someone would argue that ERGA means
sins. But you and I know that Christ has already paid the price
in full. The false teachers have been "redeemed" (2 Pt. 2:1), and
of course, Christ is the propitiation for our sins, but not for
ours only.... 1 John 2:2.

I just wish someone could help me understand the nature of
the Rewards Ceremony (BHMA) that takes place.

I think the FAULOS must be interpreted in light of Paul's
previous teaching to the Corinthians on this very subject,
as recorded in 1 Cor. 3. The only negative (FAULOS) there
is loss of reward, certainly no punishment for evil.

Mark Wilson