[b-greek] Re: First Corinthians 14:2

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 07:07:40 EST

At 8:43 PM -0800 3/28/02, waldo slusher wrote:
>To all:
>
>hO GAR LALWN GLWSSHi OUK ANQRWPOIS LALEI
>ALLA TWi QEWi, OUDEIS GAR AKOUEI PNEUMATI DE LALEI
>MUSTHRIA
>
>Is the Direct Object of LALEI MUSTHRIA?

Yes.

>What does MUSTHRIA mean in this context?

Here's Louw & Nida on the question, and I think it's a nice accounting:

28.77 MUSTHRION, OU A: the content of that which has not been known before
but which has been revealed to an in-group or restricted constituency -
'secret, mystery.' hUMIN DEDOTAI GNWNAI TA MUSTHRIA THS BASILEIAS TWN
OURANWN 'the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been
given to you' Mt 13:11. There is a serious problem involved in translating
MUSTHRION by a word which is equivalent to the English expression
'mystery,' for this term in English refers to a secret which people have
tried to uncover but which they have failed to understand. In many
instances MUSTHRION is translated by a phrase meaning 'that which was not
known before,' with the implication of its being revealed at least to some
persons.