[b-greek] Re: Eph. 6:9

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 21:40:32 EDT

In a message dated 4/17/02 8:32:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
jack_stewart_@hotmail.com writes:

> Dear All,
>
> Thanks for the help on the previous question today - I have another query
> regarding EFESIOUS, this time from 6:9, where we read:
>
> EIDOTES OTI KAI AUTWN KAI UMWN O KURIOS ESTIN EN OURANOIS
>
> seemingly very simple...my only question is: why can't this be translated:
> "knowing that both their and your Lord is in heaven" - my real problem
here
> is the way in which some translations deal with the ESTIN, by rendering
the
> passage as: "knowing that he who is both their Master and yours is in
> heaven" (ASV). I think that there is not really much difference in the
> actual meaning of my version and the ASV version, but the way in which the
> ESTIN is dealt with seems to be significantly different. Is the phrase
"he
> who is", or a phrase like it, necessary?
>
> Any ideas?

Jack, there is surely a play on the words KURIOI and KURIOS with an emphasis
on both the masters and the slaves being subject to the Lord. With this
emphasis and Paul's overall emphasis in Ephesians on the unity of Jew and
Gentile in the church, I would translate this line as "knowing that the Lord
in Heaven is the Lord of both them and you." This places maximum emphasis on
the point of the whole paragraph.

Whether Paul wrote Ephesians or not, this reminds us of a letter he surely
did write in which he said to a slave owner, hINA AIWNIWN AUTON APECHiS,
OUKETI hWS DOULON ALLA hUPER DOULON, ADELFON AGAPHTON.

Carlton L. Winbery
Louisiana College