[b-greek] Re: unaugmented?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 06:13:50 EDT

At 8:18 AM +0000 4/18/02, Andy Jackson wrote:
>Dear List -
>
>I am a newcomer to biblical Greek (I come from an Attic background), and was
>just wondering if anyone could tell me if Koine, or the Greek of the
>Septuagint, drops the augment in its imperfect and aorist indicatives, or if
>they are always present.

In Biblical Greek of GNT or LXX, so far as I know, all imperfect and aorist
indicatives ARE augmented; on the other hand some pluperfects of more than
three syllables frequently drop the augment--but pluperfects are not that
common in Biblical Greek in any case. If your background is Attic Greek,
then I assume you're aware that Greek epic and lyric poetry of any period
in the ancient era MAY omit, as does quite commonly Homeric and Hesiodic
verse, the augment on aorist and imperfect indicatives.