[b-greek] Re: Greek Palindromes

From: Michael Hanel (ekim11@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 09:55:33 EDT

> Metzger also notes a comment from James E. Frame,
> "that if a student wished to understand the thought of NT writers, and had
> to choose between studying either Greek or Hebrew, a case could be made for
> choosing Hebrew."

While I wouldn't propose not learning Hebrew, i think that the role that
the Septuagint played in the early church, would make the case for
learning Greek a lot stronger. The balance is skewed, I suppose, when one
understands that in the Greek many words have their meaning/conotation
from Hebrew. For instance I just did a word study in class for EULOG-
family. While in classical Greek the idea has to do with speaking well,
clearly the meaning of the word comes from the LXX translation of the
Hebrew root brk, so the real meaning is laced in the hebrew word. So does
that mean that Hebrew is more important than Greek? No, I don't think so.
It just means you should be capable of using both languages :)

Michael Hanel
Concordia University
Seward, NE