[b-greek] Re: hWS EX ERGWN in Rom 9.32a

From: jerker karlsson (jerker_k@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 11:58:03 EDT

<x-flowed>
I do agree with you. There is no reason why the phrase should be said to
introduce at subjective clause. But I don’t think that we by this reason
alone are to infer that the phrase are adverbial. Another possible solution
is to understand it as consecutive i.e. as a hWSTE clause. The meaning would
then be that the Jews pursued the law in such a way that works excelled
over faith. That is “Because of what? Not because they pursued the
righteousness of the law out of faith but that they pursued it as to
produce human efforts.”

Regards

Jerker Karlsson
Lund, Sweden