[b-greek] Re: Mark 9:2

From: Manolis Nikolaou (aei_didaskomenos@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 08:57:02 EST

> > HO IHSOUS TON PETRON KAI TON IAKWBON KAI TON IWANNHN KAI ANAFEREI AUTOUS EIS
> > OROS hUYHLON KAT IDIAN MONOUS.

> What's not clear to me is whether
> MONOS intensifies the idiom or not. I wonder if the idea Mark wishes to
> convey is that they were "quite by themselves". That seems to fit
> Mark's exciting style. I notice Luke says:
> hO IHSOUS TON PETRON KAI IAKWBON KAI IWANNHN TON ADELFON AUTOU, KAI
> ANAFEREI AUTOUS EIS OROS hUYHLON KAT' IDIAN.

> Mike Sangrey
> msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org
> Landisburg, Pa.

"KAT' IDIAN" is semantically and syntactically similar (not identical) to
the, elsewhere occurring (e.g. Luke 9:18), "KATA MONAS". I wonder if the
parallel use of the two idioms could be "seen" in Mark's "KAT' IDIAN
MONOUS". I mean, could "KAT' IDIAN MONOUS" possibly be regarded as an
unintentional combination of the phrases above?

Regards,
Manolis Nikolaou
Greece