[b-greek] Mk 2:15-16

From: Wieland Willker (willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 05:01:47 EST

2:15 ... HSAN GAR POLLOI KAI HKOLOUQOUN AUTW.
2:16 KAI OI GRAMMATEIS TWN FARISAIWN IDONTES ...

This means:
" ... many tax collectors and sinners were also sitting with Jesus and his
disciples -- for there were many and they followed him. And the scribes of
the Pharisees saw ..."

Now there is a variant reading that adds a KAI before IDONTES.
 ... HSAN GAR POLLOI KAI HKOLOUQOUN AUTW KAI OI GRAMMATEIS TWN FARISAIWN.
KAI IDONTES ...

I am wondering if I understand this correctly to mean:

" ... many tax collectors and sinners were also sitting with Jesus and his
disciples -- for there were many and also/even the scribes of the Pharisees
followed him. And they saw ..."

Some scribes were probably confused by the slightly equivocal sentence
structure: "many tax collectors ... for there were many and they followed
him and the scribes ..".
It is not clear to what the KAI HKOLOUQOUN AUTW belongs. It is normally
assumed that the tax collectors followed him. But it is also possible that
the Pharisees followed him and then saw what he was doing. To make this
explicit, some scribes added another KAI. Is this understanding correct?

Best wishes
    Wieland
      <><
Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany