[b-greek] Re: Romans 1:16

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 16:05:03 EST

<x-flowed>
Glen:

-------
>Rom 1:16: "OU GAR EPAISCHUNOMAI TO EUANGELION DUNAMIS GAR THEOU
>ESTIN EIS SOTERIAN PANTI TO PISTEUONTAI IUDAIO TE PROTON KAI
>hELLENI."
>
>1. I asked-- "What is the antecedent of ESTIN?"
>
>Mark said-- "The gospel." "I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it (the
>gospel) is the power (predicate nominative, agreeing with "it.")"
>
>Q's-- 1) How do we know that the power (DUNAMIS) is the predicate
>nominative and 2) that ESTIN refers back to EUAGGELION?
--------

I am only guessing here, but I think you are attempting to understand
this in the following manner:

"I am not ashamed of the gospel. For God's power is...."

As you can see, this doesn't work since there is no complete
predicate. More specifically:

For God's power is ___________ resulting in salvation...

And attempting to understand "is ________" as "is it (the gospel)..."
will not work since that would require ESTIN to function as the
predicate nominative, which I would think has no such usage
in the GNT.

So, I think the only option is "I am not ashamed of the gospel,
for it [TO EUANGELION] is God's power..."

BTW, I was really just having fun with the "split infinitive."
Sorry for getting some of us off track.

Mark Wilson