[b-greek] 2 Co 1:5 Displacement in Chiasm?

From: Paul O. Wendland (wendlanp@wls.wels.net)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 14:48:35 EST

Dear B-Greekers:

2 Co 1:5--

hOTI KAQWS PERISSEUEI TA PAQHMATA TOU CRISTOU EIS hHMAS OUTWS DIA TOU
CRISTOU PERISSEUEI KAI hH PARAKLHSIS hHMWN

because just as there does abound the sufferings of Christ toward us so
through Christ there does abound also our consolation.

Martin in his commentary (loc. cit.) identifies this as a chiasm. If so,
it's not the neatest chiasm I've ever seen since hH PARAKLHSIS hHMWN is out
of sequence. My question is: would this arrangement have been felt as a
displacement within the expected word order of a chiasm? That is, we'd
expect hH PARAKLHSIS hHMWN to precede its verb but Paul shifts it to the end
of the clause for emphasis? Or am I missing something basic again?

Second question (assuming that it is a displacement) would there be any
other examples of this sort of thing that any of your might be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul

Paul O. Wendland
11812 N. Seminary Drive #65W