[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Gardening software.FAQ

    I am relaying this information to you, not as an advertisement, but instead for
your general information, as your address was listed at the top of the recently
posted FAQ entitled GARDEN SOFTWARE, Gardening in rec.gardens.
    We have developed and have marketed for three years a landscape program called
Lafayette Landscape Designs (LLDesigns).  To date, over 600 plants (mainly at this
time for Northern gardens) have been rendered in full color. The images show
excellent detail and clarity, and can be scaled to-size over scanned background
images, such as of a house or yard.
 This software was originally developed by us for use with customers at our retail
bedding plant and perennial business in northeast Ohio.  Rather than CAD type
images, these drawings are botanically correct, elevation views of plants, drawn
to-scale with each other, and drawn in and out of bloom.  Using the supplied art
program, NeoPaint by NeoSoft (c) 1995, LLDesigns provides an easy-to-use way of
seeing what a design will really look like before planting.
    We offer both a professional version, (also available in separate packages for
woody plants; annuals, and bulbs, and perennials), and a homeowners version.  For
further information, we can be reached at <lldesign@bright.net>.  Coming soon will
be a web site at http://www.NE1.bright.net//lldesign/
    We can also be reached by calling 1-800-60-PLANT.

   We would appreciate being mentioned in future updates of the FAQ.  Thank you for
your help in this matter.   RIC & RHONDA JONES

> I want to buy a scythe. To cut a very small lawn with. Who sells a
> decent, but reasonably-priced one?

Smith & Hawken and A.M. Leonard sell a scythe with a straight snath
(lightweight, strong & easy to use) and a grass & grain blade that is
thin, long and can easily be sharpened razor-sharp. This tool is perfect
for cutting lawns. It _can_ remove weeds/grass right down to the sod.
It's fairly easy to maintain the proper stance and swinging motion
to cut your grass to a consistant height and in regular arcs that blend
together evenly.
A wonderful tool, indespensible for the rural dweller and suburban
gardener alike.

london@sunSITE.unc.edu
-

                        Agricultural Hand Tool Sources

Request a catalog from:
Johnny's Selected Seeds
Foss Hill Road
Albion, Maine, 04910
Customer service: 1-207-437-4301
They supply EARTHWAY and PLANET, Jr. seeders and will, on request
give you information on suppliers of other seeders (i.e. a small hand-carried
corn/bean seeder. You may want to hybridyze the EW and the P, Jr.
when planting small seeds in rough terrain. An organic vegetable grower
North Carolina has successfully done this.

-

>Whole Earth "Ecolog" mentioned five tool suppliers for farm and garden
>supplies; my hunch would be try Lehman's Hardware and Appliances,
>their catalog is $2.00 from PO Box 41, 4779 Kidron Rd., Kidron OH 44636;
>or Cumberland's, catalog $3.00 from rt. 3 box 81, Crossville TN 38555, and
>they have a telephone: 615-484-8481.

-

A.M. Leonard
241 Fox Drive
P.O. Box 816
Piqua, Ohio, 45356
1-800-543-8955
1-800-433-0633 fax

Mostly tree maintenance and nursery equipment,
plus miscellaneous excellent gardening/landscaping tools/supplies
eye hoes, scythes

-

Mellingers
Ohio
similar to Leonard

-

Forestry Suppliers, Inc.
P.O. Box 8397
205 West Rankin St.
Jackson, Mississippi, 39204
"Quality Forestry, Engineering and
 Environmental Equipment, Shipped Worldwide"
tools, equipment and supplies for the forestry industry

-

Langenbach
"A Collection of the World's Finest Hand Tools"
P.O. Box 453
Blairstown, N.J., 07825
Toll Free: 1-800-362-1991
English-made high quality spades, spade forks, forks and much else
Excellent!

-

Smith and Hawken
"Tools of the Trade - A Complete Source For the Organic Gardener"
Orders:
2 Arbor Lane, Box 6900
Florence, Kentucky, 41022-6900
1-800-776-3336
General info:
25 Corte Madera
Mill Valley, California, 94941
1-415-383-2000
Also excellent! you may need to ask them what tools they
have for sale that are not listed in their catalogue,
held-over stock offered in out-of-date ones -
i.e. the 4"X7" Japanese field hoe (grub-type eye hoe using 1 3/4" X 54"
handle) they used to offer, an indispensible tool!

-

The Cook's Garden
"Seeds and Supplies for the New American Kitchen Garden"
P.O. Box, 535
Londonderry, Vermont, 05148
Offers the Korean "HO-MI" hand cultivator (curved trowel/cultivator),
well-designed and effective

-

Necessary Trading Co.
One Nature's Way
New Castle, Virginia, 24127-0305
FAX - 703/864-5186
Phone: 1-703-864-5103
"Natural Solutions for Farm, Home and Garden"
Wide range of supplies, books, fertilizers, tools and equipment -
catalogue headings include: books, composting equipment & supplies,
soil testing equipment & supplies, cover crop seeds, fertilizers
(their largest offering), pest management supplies and equipment,
wild bird supplies, animal care supplies and miscellaneous hand tools.
A major supplier, along with Zook & Ranck and Fertrell, for organic
farmers and market growers in the Eastern U.S.

-

        HARMONY FARM SUPPLY                     [CAT - $2 deduct. from]
        P.O. Box 451                            [first order]
        Graton, CA 95444

        PEACEFUL VALLEY FARM SUPPLY             [CAT - $2 deduct. from]
        P.O. Box 2209                           [first order]
        Grass Valley, CA 95945

You might also call the folks at ATTRA (Appropriate Technology for Rural
Areas) at 1-800-346-9140. This free information service funded by the USDA
might have some other names & addresses for you.

-

E.G. GEIGER
1-800-4GEIGER
supplier of tools to the trade