Re: Roundup information

Troy G. Coziahr wrote:

> Sarauer wrote:
> >
> > Tracy Aquilla wrote:

> > > protectr
> > > the world.

> > In Canada only comercial applicators have to be licensed.  Farmers (I'm
> > both) do not when spraying there own crop.  Like you said most improper
> > use of chemicals does come from urban users.
>
> Their are two classes of pesticides those that are not considered to pose
> any threat to the environment, etc. are classified as general use.  No
> one has to be certified to apply these pesticides.  Roundup and 2,4-D are
> examples.  The other group is restricted use pesticides.  These are more
> toxic or have a quality which could make them a threat if used
> improperly, and anyone who wants to buy or apply them must be certified.
>
> Troy
Roundup works ok if you want to kill all the plants that your're
spraying but does anyone know of a herbacide that just gets rid of
grasses without harming  tree seedlings . Also ,when I sprayed Roundup
around seedlings I notice that they don't grow as well as trees that had
no roundup near them. I really don't want to kill unnecessarily but I
have area's that are infested with Johnsongrass and that is taking a
toll on the seedlings cause they can't get light,ventilation,water or
nutriants properly cause of the Johnsongrass. Any ideas would be
appreciated. Oh yea,mulching is the best way but I have 5 thousand trees
and I'm only one person  and I've mulched several hundred trees and that
took several months + there is a negative side to mulching and that is
that voles and rabbits seem to be able to find and eat your seedlings
easier but on the whole the mulched trees are the healthiest,if they
don't get eaten