[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spring is on the way! Let's talk GARDENS...

About 15 years ago I found a large oversized gardening book.  I was about 5-10
years old at the time, and was filled old cut and paste lithographs.

On two pages of this book (front and back) was the plan for a small, but
intensive garden.  It was all laid out with approximate planting times for
this area (Iowa) and "proper" plant density, and amounts (How much zucchini
can you really eat any way?)

The joy of this plan was the intercropping and spacing of the planting rows,
e.g., radishes were planted with peas, and between the rows of peas there was
something else.  As the radishes grew and were harvested, the peas were
automatically thinned.  As the peas grew and needed more room what ever was
planted between the rows was hasvested....and so on.

Moreover, by the time the peas were finished it was time to plant something in
their place....  It was very well planned so that through the course of the
growing season there was fresh produce in the "right" proportions to feed a
family of 4 on a plot approximately 20X40.

The problem lies in this book was falling apart so I removed the page with the
plan.  In the years that have followed I have lost both the book and the page.

I periodically look for this material, but I am at a lose to the name of it.
This specific plan is not important, a similar plan would be fine....  I just
want to garden without having to think.

bigdog@netins.net             http://www.netins.net/showcase/bigdog

Given a choice, a dog will eat 3# of ground chuck, rather than 3# of bananas