[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DRUCKER SAYS "UNIVERSITIES WON'T SURVIVE"

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Paul Jones quoted:
> DRUCKER SAYS "UNIVERSITIES WON'T SURVIVE"
> Renowned management consultant and author Peter Drucker says:  "Thirty years
> from now the big university campuses will be relics.  Universities won't
> survive.  It's as large a change as when we first got the printed book.
> Already we are beginning to deliver more lectures and classes off
> campus via satellite or two-way video at a fraction of the cost.  The
> college won't survive as a residential institution. "  (Forbes 10 Mar 97)
	i think that the key phrase here is "as a residential
institution". the neccessity of collecting so many people in one spot that
housing has to be arranged for them (i.e. dormitories) may well disappear.
but the value of spending time in the company of people who are embarked
upon similar learning won't disappear - any more than the book spelled the
end of the lecture, or television destroyed movies or live theatre.

	cheers,
	christopher

Christopher Gwyn
gwync@ruby.ils.unc.edu